List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Adding laptop support to KDE2 ....
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1999-12-25 11:31:05

taniwha wrote:

> Hi,
>         I'm the writer/maintaner of kcmlaptop a laptop support
> control panel and daemon for KDE1.* that's been out for about a
> year and has become very stable. I've just finished the first
> cut at a KDE2 port (DCOP support, new control panel model,
> new docking widget etc). I'd like to discuss adding it to the
> standard distribution rather than distributing it as an add-on
Hello Paul,
I am the writer of the kardinfo-package released independantly from the
KDE sources, currently.
There is a version 0.1 out there, that is merely finished (it is called
0.1 as it is the first release). The software is rather finished, since
it is a direct port of the (XForms-based) cardinfo tool provided by
David Hinds along with his pcmcia-package. You may have a look at it, it
is on the KDE ftp server (kardinfo-0.1.tar.gz).
I would be happy if we could integrate both packages into one DKE laptop
package.
It will so far run with KDE 1.x and may be with KDE 2.
>         - a minimal pcmcia panel that lists which cards are currently
>           present - someone else (Mirko Sucker) is working on a
>           much more full-featured pcmcia panel - this is just a
>           stand-in untill something better comes along
> The Linux power management stuff requires privilege to
> do suspend and resumes - none of my KDE code runs privileged
> instead it encourages the user to make the standard apm
> utilities setuid root, checks their protections and if they
> are OK execs them directly (so no setuid kde programs)
This is the reason why I so far released a singular program. Since there
is no cmdline tool suitable as a backend, kardinfo performs direct ioctl
calls. If you have a look at the code, this calls are so simple that
IMHO it makes no sense to create a backend for it. May configcenter
modules run with suid bit?
I will check whether it runs with the current KDE libraries, you will
get notice from me.
Greetings,
--Mirko.
--
Denn der  Mensch  liebt und ehrt den  Menschen,  solange er ihn
nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis