List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: In what format are KDE-binaries?
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-12-25 2:05:26

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, claus wilke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry that I am asking so many questions, but there is just so much to know. ;-)
>
> In what format are KDE-binaries on a Linux - glibc2.1 system? Whenever I try to
> run gdb, ldd, or any of the binutils programs on a binary I have built with a
> KDE makefile, I get something like 'not in executable format: file format not
> recognized', or 'not a dynamic executable', no matter whether I configure with
> or without --enable-debug.

1) wondering experience:

vi ./kmail

Wooow :-)

2) actually debugging:

gdb ./.libs/kmail

> Other binaries, even ones linked with Qt, work without any problem.
> What is going on here?

I must acknowledge that I don't know the exact reason why this kind of
compiling is used allover in KDE. Could have something with the mechanism
that could allow building of kde binaries in directories different than
the source directories.

Cristian