List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Drag-'n'-drop between Qt app and KDE
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-24 18:08:42

Tobias Burnus wrote:
> I tried to drag an file from the KFM of KDE 1.1.2 to a Qt 2.1
> progam. I never enter the dragEnterEvent function in the Qt program.
> Now I tried to drag a file (URI) from Netscape and it worked.

KDE 1.x used a KDE specific dnd protocol.  KDE2 and Qt 2.x both use
the XDND protocol.  They are >NOT< compatible so KDE 1.x and KDE2/Qt2
apps will not natively be able to dnd with each other.

Drops from Netscape work since Motif dnd is hacked into Qt.

> Question:
> a) Is this a flaw in Qt 2.1 or in KDE 1.x

It's not a flaw at all.  Drops from KDE 1.x into Qt 2.x will never
work -- they are using totally different protocols.

> b) Will this change in KDE 2/KRASH (I think so, since it is based on
> Qt 2.1, but I cannot test it right now)

I honestly don't know if we'll have some support in KDE 2.0 to handle
legacy apps dnd.  I can promise that it will be looked at, though...
--
Kurt Granroth            | http://www.pobox.com/~kurt_granroth
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix