List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Neural network placement policy, round II
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-12-20 1:51:46

Excellent

I've put a news item on our site (listing this among others).

I'd do things a bit different, though:

- make the nnet an own object, and make it plug in the workspace manager
on need (placement choice change).
- put all the numbers in resetNeuralNetwork in the config file. This will
make the code cleaner and would allow for future changes of the reset
dataset without having to recompile.

Did you thoroughly check the code? What happens kwin isn't configured to
use neuralNet and then it tries to load or save the trained data? (Sorry,
didn't have time to check the code now).

You should make sure addition of neuralNet doesn't lower the performance
of kwin (when using other placement than neural)  compared with kwin not
containing the code. Sorry to insist so much on this. KWin is a central
piece of the desktop and people were keeping whining that has performance
issues even when it wasn't true.

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE contact - Canada :  tibirna@kde.org       : www.kde.org