List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Neural network window placement policy!
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-12-13 0:09:44

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Nicolas Brodu wrote:

> I'm studying neural networks here, and as a practical experiment I
> implemented a neural network window placement policy.

Nice.

1) How's the performance hit? Smart placement and snap to window/border
are slowing down kwin *a lot*. I am planning a code optimization session
some times before KDE-2, but I doubt I can gain much.

2) How do you treat overtraining? I wouldn't like my windows start to pop
up on the screen of the neighbour after 2-3 months :-)

> Problems:
> - The training was difficult, and gave poor results. So 'smart' isn't very
> well approximated. (If someone has a good code to minimize a function in 351
> dimensions, please contact me*). At least it cannot be worse than 'Random'...

Wow! I will have to look at the code. I'm almost sure you don't need more
than three nodes per window. That makes 30-40 nodes most of the time.

> - KConfig did corrupt the config file when called from kwin constructor. I
> don't know why, but this means that all the parameters are hardcoded for now,
> and anything the network learns will be lost the next session.

Hmmm! Rather dishabilitating.

Cristian