On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Nicolas Brodu wrote: > I'm studying neural networks here, and as a practical experiment I > implemented a neural network window placement policy. Nice. 1) How's the performance hit? Smart placement and snap to window/border are slowing down kwin *a lot*. I am planning a code optimization session some times before KDE-2, but I doubt I can gain much. 2) How do you treat overtraining? I wouldn't like my windows start to pop up on the screen of the neighbour after 2-3 months :-) > Problems: > - The training was difficult, and gave poor results. So 'smart' isn't very > well approximated. (If someone has a good code to minimize a function in 351 > dimensions, please contact me*). At least it cannot be worse than 'Random'... Wow! I will have to look at the code. I'm almost sure you don't need more than three nodes per window. That makes 30-40 nodes most of the time. > - KConfig did corrupt the config file when called from kwin constructor. I > don't know why, but this means that all the parameters are hardcoded for now, > and anything the network learns will be lost the next session. Hmmm! Rather dishabilitating. Cristian