List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about network integration in KDE2, please read (was: Samba and NFS support)
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       1999-12-02 14:10:22

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, aleXXX wrote:
>
> > Please anybody explain me how samba-support should look in kde2.
>
> IMHO the right thing is to hack kio_smb to show a list of available smb
> hosts through smb:// . I once talked with Nicolas about this, and he said
> that it is (theoretically) possible.
Yes, of course, but the smb-(windows)-solution is poor, I already mentioned, it
is slow and not reliable.
Why not do it better if we can (we can) ?

> I could imagine that similar things are possible for a kio_nfs slave.

While it is for smb almost reasonable, for NFS it is really not.
In NFS there is no function to search a network for NFS-hosts.
You can only search for TCP/IP-hosts.
And for every found host you can look what he supports.
The property to have NFS-support is a property of the host and not of
the network. Same for smb, ftp and so on.

> Then you just need to provide two .desktop's for KonqDirTree and you've
> got your browseable treeview. (no need for network:// hacks ;)

IMHO it is no hack.
There is no network://-standard-URL, because there is no protocol which
provides a list of hosts.
I have a clean way to do it (from Lukas), and it depends only on TCP.
So if I would call this way to search for hosts HostFinderProtocol, and I
would turn it into a server (this will be the way), then an URL like e.g. HFP://
would be ok ?

And what about maybe CODA, or AppleTalk or whatever ?
Why show hosts more than once in a tree of a network (once in samba, once in
nfs, once in ftp, ...) ?
A host exists only once.
It doesn't fit the reality to divide it this way.
It fits the reality that smb://smb_host is a property of host smb_host.
Think about it in the OOP-way, and the relations between LAN's, hosts, protocol.
You install a protocol on a host, you insert a host into a network.

Bye
Alex