List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: thoughts about network integration in KDE2, please read (was:
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-12-02 14:07:02

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, aleXXX wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > aleXXX wrote:
> >
> > I don't think this is the way to go. We want to have URLs and not pseudo
> > commands :)
> >
> > It surely would be nice if you could browse some kind of toplevel
> > without
> > entering ftp, but then you would have to create a list of all ftp
> > servers
> > in the net and that would be truely too much :)
>
> I know. ;-)
> And I do know that ftp://ftp.troll.no is internet standard.
> I did not say scan the whole internet for ftp-servers.
> I did not say no standard-URL's.
> But these standard-URL's have another starting point.
> You know the location and what you can get there.
>
> Please anybody explain me how samba-support should look in kde2.

IMHO the right thing is to hack kio_smb to show a list of available smb
hosts through smb:// . I once talked with Nicolas about this, and he said
that it is (theoretically) possible.

I could imagine that similar things are possible for a kio_nfs slave.

Then you just need to provide two .desktop's for KonqDirTree and you've
got your browseable treeview. (no need for network:// hacks ;)

IMHO :-)

Bye,
 Simon