List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: samba and NFS support (was: Re: from Corel: may we help?)
From:       Nicolas Brodu <brodun () aston ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-11-26 18:05:48

David Faure wrote:

> > Problems:
> > -------
> > -smbmount only exists for linux,
> > maybe mounting for linux and your stuff on other systems ?
>
> The real problem is that mounting is completely incompatible
> with the kioslave architecture.
> You never know when a kioslave might get killed, you can have
> two kioslaves accessing the same url one after the other (or at the same
> time ? not sure).
>
> kioslaves are designed to be "request/response" slaves.
> Example of dialogue :
> KIOJob : "Give me http://www.kde.org/index.html"
> kio_http : "Here it is, step by step while I'm loading it"
> KIOJob : Thanks, you can die now.
> kio_http : Aaargh.
> (Alternatively, kio_http can be kept [in a fridge] and reused later on).

This last thing would be better for kio_smb since we can then re-use it's
internal cache (including timeout).

> I don't think mounting/unmounting each time a file is accessed
> is a viable solution, is it ?

No, but the idea is to make a popup menu appear when you RMB click on a share in
konqy, and be able to select "mount me this". It would require a mimetype or
whatever for shares, to distinguish them from other 'directories'.

> The only solution for NFS is a separate app (or plugin) that
> you can ask manually to mount/unmount a drive.

But if Alex has code that can get a list of all NFS servers, we might at least
provide this list in a nfs:// url. This doesn't solve the problem of mounting.
Same as above, a RMB solution, or implement a NFS client (ouch!)

> For SMB, though, kio_smb seems a better solution since it doesn't require
> explicitely mounting - just like you don't have to mount SMB shares, under
> Windows.

Good point.

Nicolas.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted fatal disease. (W. Allen?)