List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: samba and NFS support (was: Re: from Corel: may we help?)
From:       Nicolas Brodu <brodun () aston ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-11-26 16:44:26

aleXXX wrote:

> On Fr, 26 Nov 1999, aleXXX wrote:
> > On Fr, 26 Nov 1999, Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> > > aleXXX wrote:
>
> > Bye
> > Alex
>
> Ooops, my last mail should go directly to Nicolas, sorry.

Yes, but reading it I came up with a kde-wide question.
The whole idea behind the lib was to be independant of Samba. I must reckon
though that for some functions to work well, a smb server is required (this
crazy protocol assumes something is listening on port 137-9 at any time).
Nevertheless, to use some of your features, Samba is required.

So what?
I now revise my opinion to the following:
- Propose a basic smb service level if no smb server is present.
- Use the server for extended facilities if possible.
The game now is to put as many things as possible in the 'basic level'.

What do you think? The problem I see is that it makes KDE somewhat dependant
on Samba (not a good idea), and if Samba changes in an incompatible way for
some of its features, then kde-smb will work only with some versions of
Samba.

Cheers,
Nicolas
--
Life is a sexually transmitted fatal disease. (W. Allen?)