List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: samba and NFS support (was: Re: from Corel: may we help?)
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-11-26 11:13:33

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:

> > Problems:
> > -------
> > -smbmount only exists for linux,
> > maybe mounting for linux and your stuff on other systems ?
>
> The real problem is that mounting is completely incompatible
> with the kioslave architecture.
> You never know when a kioslave might get killed, you can have
> two kioslaves accessing the same url one after the other (or at the same
> time ? not sure).
>
> kioslaves are designed to be "request/response" slaves.
> Example of dialogue :
> KIOJob : "Give me http://www.kde.org/index.html"
> kio_http : "Here it is, step by step while I'm loading it"
> KIOJob : Thanks, you can die now.
> kio_http : Aaargh.
> (Alternatively, kio_http can be kept [in a fridge] and reused later on).
>

> I don't think mounting/unmounting each time a file is accessed
> is a viable solution, is it ?
>
> The only solution for NFS is a separate app (or plugin) that
> you can ask manually to mount/unmount a drive.

Well, you could have a separate bookkeeping app that does the mounting
following requests by the kio_nfs.
It could also dismount the NFS shares once they are idle for a while.
Sort of an automounter.

So, all that's needed for NFS support is that app and a "redirect"
kioslave that uses the file slave to work.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)