List:       kde-devel
Subject:    samba and NFS support (was: Re: from Corel: may we help?)
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       1999-11-26 9:49:58

On Fr, 26 Nov 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, aleXXX wrote:
>
> P.S. Has anyone actually seen the kio_smb bits and pieces in kdebase? They
> seem to work pretty well.
I haven't seen them yet, but I know there are so many different configurations
of LAN's, that it is quite hard to make it work with them all (there are even
LAN's without working name servers and nobody cares).

My approach in kNetmon was to make it transparent to the user wether he
accesses samba shares, NFS exports or anything else.
The main idea was to provide a overview over the hosts which are connected to
his LAN. To find them there are multiple ways (one using smbclient, one using
TCP, and one using slist (never tried)).
Then every host was searched for shares (samba, NFS, novell), the user should
not have to worry about the type, he could simply mount them (if everything is
configured correctly).
What I want to say, AFAIK for every ioslave there is an URL-prefix (ftp://,
file:// and so on), am I right ?
If I would go this way, (smb://, NFS:// or something like that) I would lose
transparency. Should I try to make something like LAN://some_host/someshare ?

Another question:
AFAIK the ioslaves don't mount the stuff they access, they make it accessible
via URLs to other KDE-apps, am I right ?
Is the reason therefor that e.g. you can't mount tgz-files ?
My question is: it is possible to mount either NFS-, samba- and
Novell-"shares".
Should they be mounted somewhat transparently by the ioslave
(e.g. if not mounted, showing them as somekind virtual  directories and if
mounted showing transparently the mounted directories) ?
In this case every (also non-KDE) app could use them.
Until now I did it like this: As I mentioned, I searched for hosts and shares,
created a tree which shows them. Then the user could open a context menu for
each host/share, and e.g. select "Explore", then the selected share was mounted
and a filemanager was opened showing the mounted directory.
To mount the stuff I created a directory structure equivalent to the structure
of the LAN (e.g. to mount the share "public" from host "server" in workgroup
"windows" it was mounted under ANY_ROOT_DIR/windows/server/public, whereas
ANY_ROOT_DIR defaulted to ~/network).

Should I stay this way or do it the other way (then I must switch to smblib)
and create all the stuff which exists to mount these shares (samba, NFS,
Novell ) new.

Bye
Alex