List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror error - "protocol file not supported"
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1999-11-18 19:11:52

FERDINAND GASSAUER wrote:
> Here what I get - I think it could be this problem
>
> But who do I get around this problem when I want to user KDE 1.1.2
> and KDE 2 on the same box ?

Having seen a lot of people have this problem, I thought that it'd probably be
worth mentioning that what I saw happen on my machine was that in order to
link in 'libkimgio', 'libqimgio' was linked in as well (which then links in
libqt.so.1, which causes problems).  However, the CVS snapshots of Qt don't
build/install this extension by default (you've got to do it yourself).

If you 'cd' into 'extensions/imageio/src' and build libqimgio manually, things
seem to link up properly.  Other thing to note though (attention Trolls) is
that when I built 'libqimgio' on my machine here, it build the '.a' file
properly, but I had to update the Makefile myself in order to get it to build
the '.so' file.  Might be nice if either Qt build the extensions and installed
them itself, or if there was at least some documentation stating that this
needs to be done.  Uh, likely candidate for a FAQ?

But, coming back to your question....if you build the libqimgio yourself under
your Qt CVS, things should then link up properly.  You'll note during the
'make' process of konqueror that when it's done building it'll warn that
'libqt.so.1' has been linked in and that this may cause problems.

--
Graham TerMarsch

// No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up.