List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: (oops) Re: DCOP question
From:       Simon Josefsson <jas () pdc ! kth ! se>
Date:       1999-11-17 22:49:34

Roberto Alsina <ralsina@unl.edu.ar> writes:

> > All of the above work for me with a read-only home directory, _given_
> > _the_ _obvious_ _limitation_ of not being able to change something.
>
> Let's put things in perspective.
>
> News works... except you can't subscribe to groups, and the reader doesn't
> remember what you have read, or your score/kill settings.
>
> Mail works... except you can't have an addressbook, save a message, change
> any settings, or forward the mail automatically somewhere else.

IMAP can be used for reading/writing mail/news without having
write-access to your home directory. Addressbooks can be kept in LDAP
or in a database.

> Netscape works... except you have no cache, no bookmarks, no proxy
> settings.

Cache is in /tmp, all settings is read from home directory..

> bash history works... except it is not kept from one session to the next,
> and you can't configure bash at all.

My home directory is readable, all my init-files are found there. I
can set HISTFILE to /tmp/blaha if I want to in .bashrc. I don't really
find this a big problem so I haven't bothered.

> The above scenario seems to me even worse than "it doesn't work".
> It may make you believe something is working, and then bite you back after
> you logout.

If konqy pops up a window telling me "Can't write bookmark: Permission
denied" I don't see how I would get the impression that it worked.

Perhaps we're making a chicken of a feather here -- I'm not saying KDE
should work perfectly if you don't have write permissions to your home
directory, I'm just saying it should do what's possible to do (pop up
a window with an error if the user try to write something) and my
experience is that this is already the case, except for the dcopserver
(which is required for anything to work, it seems) temporary files
which can now be placed elsewhere with a environment variable.

/s