List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP question
From:       Simon Josefsson <jas () pdc ! kth ! se>
Date:       1999-11-17 22:10:59

pbrown@redhat.com writes:

> > Also, imho temporary application specific files should not be stored
> > in users home directories but instead in /tmp or similar, and care
> > should be taken so that it can't be exploited somehow. IMHO.
>
> Um, X has done this since the dawn of time and nobody seems to be
> complaining about a broken X set up.  Or am I wrong?

We use AFS and putting .Xauthority in home directories doesn't work
very well (ie when your tokens expire you can't open a xterm to
authenticate yourself), I believe most AFS/NFS/DFS/Coda/whatever sites
change the xdm-scripts not to put cookies in people's home directory
since it causes trouble.

Wrt to .Xauthority security is also a concern -- NFS/AFS aren't (by
default) encrypted, by sniffing the network you could get access to
peoples screens/keyboards. I'm not sure if this is an issue with
DCOPserver, but .dcop* are only readable by the owner which might
indicate this.

All of this are issues in systems that depend on network filesystem to
a great deal, instead of having single-user local-disk workstations.