List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP question
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-11-17 9:27:00

On 17 Nov 1999, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> David Faure <faure@kde.org> writes:
>
> > > YOu may use $HOST:X.Y which is equivalent to $DISPLAY in order to gain a
> > > unique identifier. IMHO it is not worth to share the single dcopserver for
> > > both sessions because the application from one display do not want to
> > > communicate with the application of other $DISPLAY.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I do not know how XFree86-4.0 handles these issues though.
> > >
> > > In addition you should try to avoid to write into the $HOME of the user.
> > > For several applications it is beneficial to mount $HOME ro. Maybe you can
> > > use the X11 way of writing into /tmp (beware of exploits).
> >
> > If $HOME is mounted ro, most of KDE won't run at all.
> > You see, ~/.kde in under $HOME....
>
> Please don't require $HOME to be writable, imho KDE should be usable
> if ~ is read-only, within the obvious limitations.

For many applications, that's just impossible, unless you force them to
write everything on /tmp, and that has its own share of problems (like,
filling up your memory on Solaris). Many applications don't want to store
temporary files, but permanent ones.

> Also, imho temporary application specific files should not be stored
> in users home directories but instead in /tmp or similar, and care
> should be taken so that it can't be exploited somehow. IMHO.
>
> /s

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Not mad, but bound more than a madman is (Romeo and Juliet, Act I Scene II)