List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP question
From:       Simon Josefsson <jas () pdc ! kth ! se>
Date:       1999-11-17 14:14:28

David Faure <faure@kde.org> writes:

> > YOu may use $HOST:X.Y which is equivalent to $DISPLAY in order to gain a
> > unique identifier. IMHO it is not worth to share the single dcopserver for
> > both sessions because the application from one display do not want to
> > communicate with the application of other $DISPLAY.
> >
> > Unfortunately I do not know how XFree86-4.0 handles these issues though.
> >
> > In addition you should try to avoid to write into the $HOME of the user.
> > For several applications it is beneficial to mount $HOME ro. Maybe you can
> > use the X11 way of writing into /tmp (beware of exploits).
>
> If $HOME is mounted ro, most of KDE won't run at all.
> You see, ~/.kde in under $HOME....

Please don't require $HOME to be writable, imho KDE should be usable
if ~ is read-only, within the obvious limitations.

Also, imho temporary application specific files should not be stored
in users home directories but instead in /tmp or similar, and care
should be taken so that it can't be exploited somehow. IMHO.

/s