List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdvi/kpathsea hack doesn't work for me
From:       Duncan Haldane <f.d.m.haldane () mciworld ! com>
Date:       1999-11-11 18:05:08

On 11-Nov-99 Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Duncan Haldane wrote:

>> <snip>

>> > AFAIK KDE-1.1.x does not have THIS problem. We have problems with "sideeffects"
>> > of am_edit - and KDE-1.1.x does not have am_edit , does it?
>> >

>> Oh-Oh - I see I just checked the kde-2 sources,   You HAVENT updated
>> kpathsea....  This *is*  bad news.   Unless (until?) Markku Hihnala delivers
>
> Is there a single good reason why YOU left the old sources in there
> while
> touching KDE 1.1.2?

I didnt leave any old sources in KDE-1.1.2.  I
removed all the old kpathsea, and replaced it with the new one.
It was a needed upgrade for kde-1.1.2.

This was July 1999, when the HEAD_BRANCH was long forked off.
I asked on kde-devel what should be done for the HEAD_BRANCH.
There was some discussion, which was cut off when Markuu Hihnala
emerged from silence to say that it was OK to update kpathsea for
the 1.1.x branch. But he explicitly said not to touch the HEAD_BRANCH, as
he was ``going to release a new kdvi for KDE-2''.

Well I see now it was maybe a mistake not to upgrade the HEAD_BRANCH at the
same time, since Markku hasn't managed to deliver yet... But its what he
said he wanted, and he's listed as the maintainer.
I'll cc this to him, in case he's almost ready to supply the new kdvi.

I can have a go at doing the kpathsea update after KRASH is out,
(i'll play with the KRASH release, to see what needs to be done)
if noone else wants to do it, and if Markku has no free time to do it.

Regards

Duncan

E-Mail: Duncan  Haldane <f.d.m.haldane@mciworld.com>
Date: 11-Nov-99