List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdvi/kpathsea hack doesn't work for me
From:       Alexander Feigl <Alexander.Feigl () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-11-11 5:25:36

At Don, 11 Nov 1999 Duncan Haldane wrote:
> On 11-Nov-99 Mosfet wrote:
> > Have you looked at it's configure? ;-)
> >
> > Alexander Feigl wrote:

> >> Works, but this solution is not very "good". It seems that the second
> >> "configure" in kpathsea. At the secord run the kpathsea gets mixed with the top
> >> level configure and that seems to be the only reason why this works - strange.
> >> Would it be better to integrate kpathsea config into main config?
>
> Hi, I guess from this thread that someone has updated the kpathsea in kde-2.
> (I havent managed to build kde-2 recently, but....)
>
> I was the person who updated the kpathsea in KDE-1.1.x cvs this july, as
> kdvi was broken with glibc-2.1 in RedHat 6.0 with the old kpathsea.

AFAIK KDE-1.1.x does not have THIS problem. We have problems with "sideeffects"
of am_edit - and KDE-1.1.x does not have am_edit , does it?

> The simple replacement with kpathsea from tetex-1.0.6 worked just fine, there
> was just a little patching of the kpathsea makefile needed.
>
> You might want to look at the kde-1.1.2 sources to see what I did.
> (I still have the patch somewhere, let me know if it might be of use)

I think our problem is of different nature.

> At the time, there was some discussion on the kde-devel list, it
> was suspected that the kdvi was 'orphaned', but finally the
> kdvi maintainer Markku Hihnala emerged from his long silence to
> say (I paraphrase) "he was busy right then, dont touch the kde-2 kdvi,but
> he would have an updated and improved  kdvi ready 'in time for kde-2'"
>
> Has he delivered yet?

AFAIK not. There have been almost no changes for years - except updates of the
Makefile system by Stephan. Webcvs really reports "2 years" for most of the
files

Greetings

Alexander