List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How does one successfully build the version of kde2 in cvs?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-07 14:37:47

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 09:05:29AM -0500, Calvin Ostrum wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:
>
> | > not fitting in.  Can you say the minimum one would have
> | > to download and rebuild to just test out konquerer?
> | Sure.
> | kdelibs (all of it)
> | kdebase/libkonq
> | kdebase/konqueror
>
> | Nothing else.
> | Update the three, make install in the three, and run konqueror.
>
> Tried this this morning, it took three hours total, except
> that, just as last time, konqueror did not compile at
> the end of it all.  konq_iconview.cc is where the problems
> lie, this is in the version downloaded at noon CUT.

If you don't report why it doesn't compile, I can't help you.

> | > Regarding our earlier brief exchange, I wonder if you
> | > have looked at that "Tightly coupled windows" stuff?
> | Yes I did.
> | It doesn't tell much, though. But it seems the goal
> | is the same as konqueror view stuff. Feel free to make
> | us see what's missing/wrong in the way konqueror does it.
> | (This discussion would be better on kfm-devel@kde.org, BTW)
>
> Well, maybe I will post something there, but not likely,
> as it is probably more likely to be ignored than to start
> any discussion.
How do you know ????
What's the problem with you ?
You moan all the time from the beginning, and when I suggest
you post something constructive, you say "no" ?

I'm losing quite a lot of time answering you on this thread,
and see nothing but bad attitude while I'm trying to help you.

Ok, then. Go to hell.

> One thing different is how konqueror (I assume) is
> dealing only with managing the windows of plug-ins
> that are browser-like, as opposed to more general
> applications.
That will change with the new kparts Simon is working on.
But kview/kdvi/kghostview are already very general IMO.

> Another is that users don't appear
> to be able to specify and alter general patterns of
> window arrangement.
?
You'll look at the window menu in konqueror when you get it to work.

> | > You might get some good ideas there.  I assume you are
> | > going to allow saving of views as bookmarks, for example,
> | > so that a user can save a set of url's that can be
> | > redisplayed in a particualar configuration?
> | Yes, we call this "View profile".
> | We have bookmarks as well, but they are for one view (they are
> | Netscape/kfm like bookmarks).
>
> I don't see why they shouldn't be able to be bookmarks as well.
> It is quite natural to want to save bookmarks that open up two
> separate windows on two separate pages, side by side, and to be
> able to access such an arrangement by the same general mechanism
> that enables me to access single pages.

I see your point.
The problem is if sharing bookmarks (e.g. with kfile, or the dead kohtml, ...)
But ok, they could skip the view-profile information.
You see, you can have constructive ideas sometimes :-)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org