List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How does one successfully build the version of kde2 in cvs?
From:       Calvin Ostrum <cbo () interlog ! com>
Date:       1999-11-07 14:05:29

On Sat, 06 Nov 1999, David Faure wrote:

| > not fitting in.  Can you say the minimum one would have
| > to download and rebuild to just test out konquerer?
| Sure.
| kdelibs (all of it)
| kdebase/libkonq
| kdebase/konqueror

| Nothing else.
| Update the three, make install in the three, and run konqueror.

Tried this this morning, it took three hours total, except
that, just as last time, konqueror did not compile at
the end of it all.  konq_iconview.cc is where the problems
lie, this is in the version downloaded at noon CUT.

| > Regarding our earlier brief exchange, I wonder if you
| > have looked at that "Tightly coupled windows" stuff?
| Yes I did.
| It doesn't tell much, though. But it seems the goal
| is the same as konqueror view stuff. Feel free to make
| us see what's missing/wrong in the way konqueror does it.
| (This discussion would be better on kfm-devel@kde.org, BTW)

Well, maybe I will post something there, but not likely,
as it is probably more likely to be ignored than to start
any discussion.

One thing different is how konqueror (I assume) is
dealing only with managing the windows of plug-ins
that are browser-like, as opposed to more general
applications.   Another is that users don't appear
to be able to specify and alter general patterns of
window arrangement.

| > You might get some good ideas there.  I assume you are
| > going to allow saving of views as bookmarks, for example,
| > so that a user can save a set of url's that can be
| > redisplayed in a particualar configuration?
| Yes, we call this "View profile".
| We have bookmarks as well, but they are for one view (they are
| Netscape/kfm like bookmarks).

I don't see why they shouldn't be able to be bookmarks as well.
It is quite natural to want to save bookmarks that open up two
separate windows on two separate pages, side by side, and to be
able to access such an arrangement by the same general mechanism
that enables me to access single pages.

Calvin Ostrum                                              cbo@interlog.com
People make their own history, but they do not make it just as they please;
they do not make it under circumstances chosen by themselves, but under
circumstances directly encountered, given and transmitted from the past.
        -- Karl Marx, "The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte"