List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: remote tar.gz in kfm (was Re: your mail)
From:       Calvin Ostrum <cbo () interlog ! com>
Date:       1999-11-01 1:00:29

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, David Faure wrote:

| > For people whose desktop is covered by maximized windows, moving
| > everything around just so they can download a file is a pain.
| You don't sound like you have tried konqueror ! :)
|
| konqueror allows to split the window (as much as you want).
| No need to move any window around.

This is a great advance, to be sure!  It advances all the
way back to the *Windows 3.1* file manager, which had the
ability to nicely tile subwindows within it. Strangely,
this was abandoned in Windows 95.

I am a big fan of a UI model that works primarily with
a set of tiled windows filling the screen.  However,
I don't think one should be *forced* to change one's
current set of tilings just to quickly find a place to
put a file one wants to download.  That's a real pain.

It isn't necessarily a matter of whether copying or
downloading should be considered the primary way of
acting on remote files.  Even if one is copying a local
file, it would be nice to have something like the "disk
navigator" available to select destinations as one option
on the menu popped up with a right-click.

Drag-and-drop is nice, but to force everything into
it as the only option is rather Procrustean.

| > I'm not trying to troll/flame here; these are just some issues I have with
| > kfm. :)
| kfm is dead. Long live konqueror. :-)

| KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today

But konqueror won't be available for quite a while, right? (For
this reason, I have made a few changes to my own copy of kfm.
I added https support via OpenSLL, altered the tree and
directory displays so that there is not excessive vertical
whitespace, fixed some bugs in the "cookiejar" code to
remove the problem I had posted about earlier, and added some
flexibility to kfmclient's openURL).

And will the new KDE still run decently on machines with only
64M of RAM?  I'm worried that with any of these newfangled
desktops I will have to give up on them and stick with old
versions that are relatively small in comparison.  64M
is all my machine will take and I can't afford to replace
it.

Calvin Ostrum                                              cbo@interlog.com
People make their own history, but they do not make it just as they please;
they do not make it under circumstances chosen by themselves, but under
circumstances directly encountered, given and transmitted from the past.
        -- Karl Marx, "The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte"