List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Option to save session on logout?
From:       Stephen Quattlebaum <quatt001 () bama ! ua ! edu>
Date:       1999-10-31 5:37:56

> Would you consider adding an option to the logout dialog to allow
> exiting KDE without saving the session?   I personally find it very
> annoying to have, say, netscape pop up when I start KDE just because
> I missed closing it the last time I logged out.

I've been just lurking here for a while, but this question jogged my
memory about something that I've been thinking of for a while.  The
ability KDE has to save sessions is great, but I think that a natural and
very useful way to extend the functionality already there would be to
allow multiple sessions to be saved at the same time.  Ie., you're deep
into working on one project, and then move to another for a while.  It
would be nice to just be able to save the first session and then start
another one clean, and be able to come back to the first session later.  I
don't think that just using a different desktop for each "project" is a
viable answer for a few different reasons (which I can enumerate if
someone wishes).

Has anyone else ever suggested this functionality?  I don't know the
internals of KDE but I can't imagine there would be any great technical
hurdles (though I don't know how much of the job of saving state is shared
between KDE and the app -- the more is required of the app, the harder a
transition to such a system might be I suppose).  Any thoughts?

****
Stephen Quattlebaum
quatt001@bama.ua.edu

This email composed of %100 post-consumer electrons.

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily the opinions of the
University of Alabama or it's faculty/administration (but they should be).