List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kash Kontinued.
From:       pbrown () redhat ! com
Date:       1999-10-31 4:35:33

Ah, databases.

Kash is likely to be a single-user application.  For this, it simply
doesn't make sense to use a heavyweight database or database interface.  A
simple database like db (which comes with glibc) or even gdbm (if you are
writing a GPL program) is perfectly suitable.  There are plenty of other
small, lightweight databases as well.  DB is used to maintain the entire
RPM database on a running system, which I would consider a "medium-weight"
database.  It is more than capable for the task.

I've kept quiet about this whole Kash thing, but allow me to add my
opinion, if you care.

There are two kinds of programming projects: those that succeed and those
that fail.  We all want to see this personal finance app be in the first
category.  Now, there are of course many ways to make an application
project succeed, but one way that I have seen too many free software
projects fail is from OVER planning.  Of course, UNDER planning usually
leads to code faster, but then you need a rewrite.  That's the trade-off;
the first cut at the application is the planning.  This isn't necessarily
bad.

I propose the following to all you people interested in working on Kash.
Make something simple that works in a month.  Seriously, it isn't too hard
a task.  Use a lightweight database, the GNU Multiprecision library to
represent the large numbers, and a Qt ListView + a few other widgets to do
check book entry.  It won't be that hard, and it will be a starting place
to begin adding some real functionality.

I firmly believe that the sooner you have something that is interesting
and working, both you and potential third parties will be motivated to
continue working on the project.  Here's a reference to the GMP library
for those who are interested:

http://WWW.GNU.ORG/manual/gmp/index.html

Please, PLEASE do not fall into the GnuCash trap of trying to be all
things to all people from the get-go.  You are almost certainly doomed to
failure.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.