List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Development needs?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-10-29 21:44:20

Andrew Chant wrote:

> As a C programmer somewhat new to KDE, but with plenty of time and
> willingness to code open source apps, I was wondering if anyone knows of a
> current void that needs to be filled in terms of a KDE 2.0 program.  One
> thing that I may take on is an FTP Client, because I haven't found any to my
> liking in terms of featureset as of yet, but if there are any more pressing
> issues which need addressing I would be happy to help.  Regarding the FTP
> client, would that be frowned upon becuase of Konquerer's universal browser
> function?  I still feel the need for a specialized FTP program, for batch
> transfers and options...
> Anyways, any feedback would be welcome.

Well, there are a number of FTP clients besides Konqueror, such as Caitoo, KFTP
and KberoFTP.

There is a (non-KDE specific) site which lists apps (including for KDE) that
people have requested which you might consider as a good starting point:
http://www.cosource.com/

If you want to consider working with others, there are a bunch of ongoing
KDE projects where developers have requested help, including (IIRC) Kash (a
money manager/financial tool), Katabase, Magellan and others.  If you have a
good bit of time to devote, you might consider helping the KOffice development
team (koffice.kde.org).

Regards,

Andreas