List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Size of 2.0 compared to 1.1.1 ?
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-10-28 10:57:56

> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > What I'm experiencing now is that 64MB of RAM is just as little short
> > with KDE 1.1.1. Only a few applications can be run at the same time;
> > it's almost as memory hungry as Windows NT.
> I can't see your probs, as my kde even with 32mb ram and 80mb
> swap-space works fine for me.
>
> so I just ask you how many apps do you run at the same time?

With the new architecture, I think KDE 2.x takes less memory than KDE 1.1.x
For instance there is no filemanager launched on startup anymore.
Only kdesktop, for the desktop icons, and you launch konqueror when clicking
on such an icon (or by any other way to launch it).
kfm, in KDE-1.1.x, used to take a long time to start and to eat some memory
for nothing, especially if you don't use it all the time.

ksycoca is another reason for reduced memory consumption : all mimetypes and
services are no more in memory all the time, as they used to be in kfm (and
in all apps when we had that KRegistry thing afterwards). Now they are
stored
in a binary file and created only when necessary and only one at a time,
which
obviously saves memory.

Hopefully using ksycoca for kicker would save quite a lot of memory as well,
but I need
some time and thoughts to do that.

This is a theorical answer, based on technical changes, not one from actual
measurements.
Feel free to make such measurements and give us the results.
Spotting the hungry apps/libs is the first step to improving them in order
to reduce
memory usage. For instance, the ksycoca approach could be used in specific
apps that need
a little bit of information out of a huge amount of it, very seldom.

And then there is the issue of exceptions, and also the fact that you can
use --enable-final
to optimise binaries better, and so on...

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer