List:       kde-devel
Subject:    How can I know the charset of the input my KDE 2 application gets
From:       Yves Arrouye <yves () realnames ! com>
Date:       1999-10-27 23:13:31

Hi,

I have a need to know what charset my application is accepting input in. I
tried to use:

	KGlobal::locale()->charset()

but this will retun us-ascii (default install on a US machine) even though
the application was happily accepting iso-8859-1 (and supposing input was
iso-8859-1 since it's a Web browser). I'd like to know if there is a way to
know what kind of encoding is being input, which is something that kikbd
changes for example, and that one would think a Japanese IME would be able
to change too; if applications can be aware of that, it'd be great (and for
the Web browser, definitely indispensable for filling forms).

Thanks,
Yves.