List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: big *thank you* for the latest developments
From:       Mosfet <mosfet () jorsm ! com>
Date:       1999-10-19 16:26:57

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Boris Povazay wrote:
>
> > Martin Konold wrote:
> >
> > > The problem imho arises as soon as standard kpanel/kicker functionality
> > > gets shifted towards applets instead of beeing integrated. If we are not
> > > careful this will add enourmeous bloat due to the fact that every
> > > instance really uses up a lot of memory.
> >
> > So how about an applet, that displays the memory and cpu consumption of
> > all the other applets? P-)
> > Honestly - You could get rid of this problem in a kind of evolutionary
> > way - If the consumption of resources is good visible to the user, s/he
> > will not use bloatware. So kicker could provide such a feature and the
> > designers will follow without any need for further discussion...
>
> There is an obvious way to avoid the extra RAM used by each instance of
> KApplication and friends.
>
> Make applets dynamically loaded libraries.

As I stated before this is what we are doing for the internal applets
(pager, taskbar, and date applet). All others will run as separate
processes. It is not a good idea to have all applets running in kicker's
address space. A kicker applet should be separate executeable just like
Wharf applets, etc... and can run standalone.

If people start running two dozen applets of course that is going to
consume resources, just like if they run two dozen instances of any
application. The solution: Don't run a multitude of applets that have
all sorts of wacky drawing routines on a P100 ;-)

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com