List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: big *thank you* for the latest developments
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-10-19 15:39:35

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Graham TerMarsch wrote:
> Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but considering that an applet can
> only ever be loaded into Kicker and can't run standalone, would there not be
> some way to have applets created/used as shared object files rather than as
> explicit applications?  That way applets become more like "plug-ins" rather
> than actual applications that get fired up.

applets can run standalone, in fact they do so when kicker gets killed or when
kicker isn't running when you start the applet.

The basic idea is to keep it simple for the user. The user wants to start an
applet (with the filemanager or even the konsole) and it should show up in the
panel. The user doesn't want to make the panel start the applet.

Yes, there are ways to hack around this, but why? If you run an cd-player
applet, you can easily run another process. After all, processes are not _that_
expensive and they offer a fair bit stability (crashing or hanging cd-player
won't crash kicker).

Matthias