List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Meta/Alt modifiers
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () worldnet ! fr>
Date:       1999-10-12 8:48:11

Michael Scheuner <michael@cos-data.de> writes:

> Can anybody tell my what is the meta-key ?

Another modifier, just like Alt.

> As i understand this, it's the windows-key on my keyboard. Didn't
> know it would have a function under Linux at all.

It doesn't unless you set up your X keymap to give it one.

> in my kvt, Alt-F jumps one word forward, Alt-B on word backward (an so
> behaves my xemacs).

Yes, Alt-F/B works for me in kvt too, but in XEmacs it's
Meta-F/B and Alt-F/B are undefined.

Try 'xmodmap -pm'. Here's what I've got :

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x25)
control     Control_L (0x42),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x73),  Alt_R (0x74)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3        Meta_L (0x40),  Meta_R (0x71)

(I also used to switch Ctrl and CapsLock, but this can be done
directly from the XFree86Config now).

--
						Guillaume