List:       kde-devel
Subject:    A few thoughts (Was: Re: Help/Search within controlcenter?)
From:       Bo Thorsen <gobo () imada ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-10-09 8:27:18

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Mark A Roberts wrote:

> Boris Povazay wrote:
> > And how about a reentrant help-window? Does the help always have to
> > popup again when it is already active?
>
> Depends what you mean by a reentrant help window -
>
> Sometimes I need 4 different KDE help windows open at once when I'm
> really desparate :-)
> I'm perfectly happy for the default behaviour to be to open another
> window when clicking on the kpanel icon.

Well this made me think that it should be possible to either open the new
document in the same window or in a new window, and the user should be
able to configure this behaviour.

This sentence could have been written for almost every single app that can
have multiple windows, which led me to conclude that this should be
something that could be controlled globally (on your desktop, not in earth
scale :) through the control center. But you might not want to have the
same behaviour for all apps, so app-wise configuration should be
possible.

Here are my suggestions:

* An additional control center app could be made with default behaviour
  for all apps. The inclusion of automatic startup of apps (through kded)
  makes this a very nice additional control imho

* Every app should have the possibility to configure the appropriate
  options locally. The default configuration for each of these local
  options would be "Use kde default"

* Totally unrelated: I would really like to be able to copy and paste from
  the QLabel's and other text viewing widgets. It is unclear to me why
  copying is normally only possible from editable widgets

Tell me your opinions on these matters. If they are interesting, I will
try to make an app behave like this (maybe kdehelp?).

Ideally the last suggestion is something for the already hardworking
trolls, but if they're not interested, maybe we should just implement it
and try to convince them that this is a nice feature.

--

Bo Thorsen
gobo@imada.sdu.dk