List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: RPMS ready for RedHat (choice release)
From:       Duncan Haldane <f.d.m.haldane () mciworld ! com>
Date:       1999-09-23 3:37:00

On 22-Sep-99 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> Martin Konold [konold@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de] wrote:
>> ANNOUNCE:  KDE-1.1.2 RPM's for RedHat 5.1,5.2 (they work on 6.0 too)
>> New feature: TWO different sets of RPMS are supplied:
>>
>>  -- "rh5x" (oldstyle) series are traditional KDE rpms that install to
>>     /opt/kde (or can be relocated with "rpm ... --prefix <yourchoice> ).
>>
>>  --  "FHS2" (FHS-compliant) series are new RPMS that are designed to be
>>      compliant with the File Hierarchy Standard v2.0, (as advocated by Red Hat).
>>      These install to /usr, /usr/lib, /usr/share/kde, /usr/include/kde,
>>      /usr/doc/kde, and /etc/kde.
>
> I don't see how these are FHS-compliant, since the FHS specifies that only
> stuff that comes with the distribution goes in /usr/.  User installed
> things (as anything not from RedHat is) would go in /opt/ or /usr/local/.
> The *old* way is the FHS-compliant way, even if they end up in different
> places depending on who installed them.
>
> Not that I think having them end up in different places is a good thing,
> and I'm sure people will appreciate having them in /usr/ to work with
> RedHat stuff, but it seems the above phrasing just confuses an already
> confused issue.
>
> But maybe I'm missing something.

Hmmm.

Maybe I'm confused, but, where in the FHS v2.0 (which I have in front of me)
does it say that "third party" files *cannot* be installed in /usr/ ,etc. ?

/opt/ or /usr/local are available for local installation, but dont
appear to be mandatory for this use.  I am not aware of *any* contributed
rpms for redhat that install to /usr/local/ as opposed to /usr/

Sure, a third-party installation to /opt/kde *could* be  FHS-compliant
(but the default KDE installation is not - /opt/kde/share/config is definitely
a FHS no-no, for example ..)

By FHS-compliant I of course meant the scheme that RedHat has (or apparently will) adopt
for 6.x (including a move from /usr/share to /usr/share/kde/ for shareable
KDE files)

As the packager of these RPMS, I would welcome clarification of this issue.
Duncan
<duncan@kde.org>