List:       kde
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: RPMS ready for RedHat (choice release)
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       1999-09-22 19:15:42

Martin Konold [konold@alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de] wrote:
> ANNOUNCE:  KDE-1.1.2 RPM's for RedHat 5.1,5.2 (they work on 6.0 too)
> New feature: TWO different sets of RPMS are supplied:
>
>  -- "rh5x" (oldstyle) series are traditional KDE rpms that install to
>     /opt/kde (or can be relocated with "rpm ... --prefix <yourchoice> ).
>
>  --  "FHS2" (FHS-compliant) series are new RPMS that are designed to be
>      compliant with the File Hierarchy Standard v2.0, (as advocated by Red Hat).
>      These install to /usr, /usr/lib, /usr/share/kde, /usr/include/kde,
>      /usr/doc/kde, and /etc/kde.

I don't see how these are FHS-compliant, since the FHS specifies that only
stuff that comes with the distribution goes in /usr/.  User installed
things (as anything not from RedHat is) would go in /opt/ or /usr/local/.
The *old* way is the FHS-compliant way, even if they end up in different
places depending on who installed them.

Not that I think having them end up in different places is a good thing,
and I'm sure people will appreciate having them in /usr/ to work with
RedHat stuff, but it seems the above phrasing just confuses an already
confused issue.

But maybe I'm missing something.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/