List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GZIP/BZIP kio paths.
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       1999-09-20 8:11:04

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Michael J. Bedy wrote:

>  Who's the maintainer of the kio stuff? (I don't see and info on that in
> kdebase or kdelibs)

The last person to touch the code.

>  Is there a reason that absolute paths are used in the gzip kioslave? It
> looks as if the programs are executed with execvp, which should search the
> path for the programs. And on a newer system (like mine), bzip2 is in
> /usr/bin, not /usr/local/bin.

Yes, exec*p is a good idea.  It should probably be something like

if extension is .Z or .gz, try compress/decompress, then try gzip/gunzip

if extension is .bz2, try bzip2/bunzip2

>  What's the procedure for submitting patches? I don't see them on this
> list, so I assume attaching them to my e-mail would be a Bad Thing.

If they're small, send them to the list.  It should help improve the
signal to noise ratio.

One must also think about the appropiate place for bzip2 support.

I think one of the reasons I was hesitant to change this was because I
wanted to at least try the library versions of gzip an bzip2.  This would
allow us forgo the exec and pipe hackery.

- alex

Experience something different
With our new imported dolly
She's lovely, warm, inflatable