List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Changes in kapp
From:       "Dirk A. Mueller" <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-09-19 15:46:49

Espen Sand <espensa@online.no> wrote:

>> I generally agree. But what will happen with all that programs out
>> there that don't use that function?
> Then they are not compliant with the KDE-2 standard ;)

Think again. Not every app that runs under KDE will ever be KDE-2
standards compatible.

> I can not disagree with this if the app programmer then can just say
> "setCaption( captionWithNoAppName )".

Exactly that's the way it should be imho.

> 1. Can the application name be detected from kwm? How?

There is probably a WM Hint for the appname, I guess. Unfortunately I
have no Xlib manual available.

> One cannot use kapp since the app does not have to be a kde-app.

kwm can't even access "kapp" ;-)

> 2. What if a dialog does not want to display the application name
> (for some odd/unlikely reason)

well, dialog windows are not affected - WM can detect modal windows

> 3. Who can modify kwm and when? I know nothing about kwm. As it is
> today,
> almost every caption combination is used. BAD!

Exactly. Your solution doesn't help MUCH either. Now only "some more"
apps will use a common format. Unless EVERY app uses the same format,
this is in no way better.

--
Dirk A. Mueller