List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Docking support in KDE 2
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-09-06 23:17:36

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Dirk A. Mueller wrote:

> Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna@total.net> wrote:
>
> > All releases of KDE-1 (and even KDE-beta3 and 4) supported applet
> > docking (called swallowing).
>
> but that's done via a .kdelnk file. gnome and e do it via some X
> properties.
>
> I haven't checked yet, but if "our" X protocol is different from the
> one E/GNOME uses, we should reconsider if it can't be done in a
> compatible fashion
>
> (a good way polluting GNOME-only environments could be good KDE-applets
> :) ) <-- SCNR.

Gnome uses CORBA, which is an incredible overkill.

I didn't know E has applets.

I already hinted Matthias E. about making kapplets act as any normal X/K
app, but he didn't seem convinced. I think the better is just make an
implementation and propose it to the core-devel, so that Matthias and
others can evaluate it.

Making gnome-compatible applets is not possible in the actual setup,
AFAIK.

Cristian