List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: the end of KOffice?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-09-03 12:11:25

> >Wouldn't it be a good idea to check whether kded is indeed running and then
> >give a usefull error message instead of segfaulting?
> >
> >(a task for openparts?)
>
> Somebody of the OpenParts people (Simon?) should comment on this. Actually kded
> should be always automatically started if it is not already running. But as we
> see, it doesn't always work :-((

Yes. We do that. I once fixed that part myself. The problem which remains is that if
kded does not run for some reason (e.g. bug in kded / kded not started because
root-window property was still set) that should be detected and the application
should report that (and can probably abort) instead of crashing itself.

Cheers,
Waldo