List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: the end of KOffice?
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () uermel ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       1999-09-03 12:12:11

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Sep 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >On Fri, 03 Sep 1999, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> >
> >>From your QA department :)

> >> Looks like kded hasn't been started. Either start that manually or start kword
> >> with the option -kdedlocal.
> >
> >Wouldn't it be a good idea to check whether kded is indeed running and then
> >give a usefull error message instead of segfaulting?
> >
> >(a task for openparts?)
>
> Somebody of the OpenParts people (Simon?) should comment on this. Actually kded
> should be always automatically started if it is not already running. But as we
> see, it doesn't always work :-((

Yes, it should, and the mechanism actually *used* to work. Hell knows why
it is broken :-((

The only "workaround" I know is, as you already said, to start kded
manually before doing anything else.

I wish I had more time and actually a working environment so that I could
look into it (and the koffice embedding problem you recently pointed out)
..

Ciao,
 Simon