List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Redhat kde package config
From:       dep <dep () westnet ! com>
Date:       1999-08-31 17:57:28

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Troy Engel wrote:

|OK, we've made the distinction clear; /usr contains static shareable
|data as supplied by the base distribution, whereas /opt contains our
|static shareable data as an add-in package.  On RedHat CD, they shipped
|1.1.1pre2 RPM files (ugh) using /usr. On the ftp.kde.org site, the RPMs
|are using /opt.  Both cases are justified 100%.

in my little upcoming book, i'm encouraging people to remove their
1.1.1pre2 rpms, change the script that points to /usr, and get rpms
from kde.org mirrors and put 'em in /opt/kde, for the very important
reason that when kde is updated, it's a hell of a lot easier to make
a backup of /opt/kde than it is to make a backup of /usr.

if memory serves, all the kde.org rpms accept --prefix=, right?

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.