List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New KDE Dock Applet
From:       John Corey <whoop () mtco ! com>
Date:       1999-08-30 22:54:33

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, ian geiser wrote:
>

> > > Oh, just what I needed.  I too have a couple applets
> > > I've thrown
> > > together, not working completely yet though.  I was
> > > just starting to
> > > implement downloading stuff from web pages, so this
> > > will hopefully make
> > > that easier to learn. :)
> >
> >       i am cheating in the way that i am using KFM
> >       to download the file.  KFM is damn nice for an
> >       api but i guess the ease of programing makes
> >       for a lack of features.
> >
> >       if anyone on the list can direct an easy yet
> >       stable way to transfer files less painfully
> >       than KSocket please post it.  The main problem
> >       i have with KFM is it brings a window to the
> >       front of the screen. This is a real hassel
> >       when one is TRYING to play XEvil :P
>
> Well, KDE 2 fixes that.
> Simple way to download a file from the web... how about
>
> system ("lynx -save http://whatever.com")
>
> Not really correct, but it should work.

After downloading this kweather I found it wasn't a kicker applet as I
assumed since I just had that on my mind working on my programs, but for
KDE 1.x.  But from what I've seen in some other KDE 2 apps, to do this
is just:

KIOJob *iojob = new KIOJob;
connect(iojob, SIGNAL(SIGNAL( sigFinished( int ) ), this,
SLOT(myFinished(int)));
iojob->copy("http://www.whatever/url/file.html", "file:/tmp/file.html");

to save that to /tmp/file.html, right?  I think it was kghostview that I
saw doing that, and I checked another couple apps.  So I did that in my
applet, and here's what happens:

25         iojob->copy(src.data(), dest.data());
(gdb) n
KIOJob::createSlave : Slave got
kiolib (KIOJob): TRYING TO START /opt/kde-2/bin/kio_http
 trying m_strSlave...Pass
 m_strSlavePass ok (1)
28         NewsGroup *group = new NewsGroup("ltoday.rdf");
(gdb) Slot copy called with:
:http://linux/~jcorey/ltoday.rdf:file:/home/jcorey/ltoday.rdf:slotCopy 0
BAH
BAH$
slotCopy 3
kio_file : Starting
kio_file : Adding .part extension to /home/jcorey/ltoday.rdf
kio_http : Copied files file:/home/jcorey/ltoday.rdf
KILLING SLAVE xb 13766

... Apache's log registers the hit, everything looks like it downloaded
fine, except there's no such file in my home directory, and the slot
function is never called.  I even connected sigError() up, but it's not
emitted either.  Does copy block or should I do everything I need with
the file in the finished slot function (once it gets working right)?