List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New IDE ?
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-08-30 16:49:33

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Thomas Kuhn wrote:
>Waldo Bastian wrote:
>

>> > Allright, are there any developers who are intersted in creating such an
>> > IDE ?
>>
>> The people at www.ude.org are looking for someone to make an IDE.
>
>Creating an IDE without a GUI-toolkit is  hard job I think...
>Anyway, i want to create an IDE for KDE :))

I can understand you :-) KDevelop is already here and it's very good. But it's
always hard for people to jump on an existing project with a big codebase like
KDevelop. So I can fully understand that if somebody wants to write an IDE that
he/she wants to start a new one. I mean that's how OpenSource works, people
want to know how something can be designed, implemented, etc (IMO that's the
main reason for writing OpenSource software, at least for me). And that's why
they do it. So if someone wants to start a new IDE, fine. It's his time, his
interests, so let him do it. It's always more fun to design implement something
from scratch and not to start working on something where neary everything is
already here and you can't do everything you want to.

Of course it's always better if more people work on the same thing than on
different but similar things. But then, why did the KDevelop people make
KDevelop and not improve (X)Emacs? :-)

Just my opinion....

--
Reggie