List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next release called 1.2?
From:       dep <dep () westnet ! com>
Date:       1999-08-29 19:26:49

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

|> I don't thinks this would be a good idea. It would sound like
|> a cheap shot at the gnomes, which want to call their next beta
|> 1.2. Better stay on the stable side of life :-)
|>

|I think this is a good thought. I nevertheless think this release will be
|more than a micro release (this is what the third release number slot
|represents, not? 1.1.2 = major 1. minor 1. micro 2.). What about trying to
|refer to it more with "the Kolor release" instead of "the 1.1.2 release".

because people deal with software by version number instead of cutesy
name. and if the standard is to be that kde shall search for numbers
that no one is currently using or planning ever to use, then there's
big trouble. what gnome calls gnome (maybe they should try to refer
to it more as the "GNUnstable" release) has nothing to do with kde,
and if kde.org is going to base what it does on what the gnomes might
say, there's big trouble ahead -- for instance, what if the gnomes
get upset that kde works more reliably than gnome does?

--
                2000 is a number that breaks computers.