List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Bus error?
From:       Bo Thorsen <gobo () imada ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       1999-08-28 9:12:05

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Amaury JACQUOT wrote:

> A bus error happens on "smart" processors...
> usually, it means you have a dangling pointer (like dereferencing a NULL
> pointer) somewhere in your program...

No, that results in segfaults. Bus errors come when you try to address
something which should be aligned (word, longword, short etc) but isn't.
E.g. calling a function placed on an odd memory address etc.

The most times I have experienced this I just had to do a `make clean
all`, since it happens when you move your data and functions in an object.
If so, this shows you your dependency checking in the makefiles is not
working correctly.

I expect there to be tons of other ways to produce bus errors, but the
times where I have been able to find the reasons, it was always as the one
described above.

--

Bo Thorsen
gobo@imada.sdu.dk