List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next release called 1.2?
From:       Michael Koch <m_koch () bigfoot ! de>
Date:       1999-08-25 11:22:35

Am Mit, 25 Aug 1999 schrieb Bjoern.Kahl:
> On 24-Aug-99 Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Pietro Iglio wrote:
> >>
> >> I vote 1.2 for a very simple reason: it is simpler to remember than
> >> 1.1.2
> >> for common users. We have already too many version numbers in our
> >> minds!
>
> > That argument is very nil, don't you think? KDE is KDE and latest KDE
> > is latest KDE :)
>
>  NO !
>
>  If we want people to try out this latest KDE, we should
>  name it 1.2.
>
>  A 1.1.2 is simply not important enough. Increasing the
>  patch-number just says "Oh, one more small bugfix I don't
>  have to care about, except I got hit by regular crashes or
>  a break-in.".
>
>  Because this is a public release, IMHO version-numbering
>  should be done from the endusers point of view:
>
>  a.b.X -> a.b.Y : some small internal fix, not important
>                   for daily work, except I got hit by
>                   malfunction in my own daily work
>
>  a.X   -> a.Y   : a lot small bugfixes, and some features added
>                   they generaly polished everything a bit, makeing
>                   things better. No big changes, won't have to
>                   re-learn how to do my work
>
>  X     -> Y     : big changes. Things work completly different.
>                   Will have to reconfigure most things, will
>                   have to spend hours in learning the new way to
>                   do things. Should go and buy a new
>                   "getting started" book.
>                   Won't be able to undo an update without major
>                   headache.
>

>  Bjoern

Cool, thats also my opinion. And we should change to a kernel like version
number scheme. Most users know this scheme, many projetcs using it. So, it's
less confusing for the enduser

Just my 2 cents.

Ciao,
Michael

--
Michael Koch

KDE fan, enthusiast and developer

student of computer science at university of applied sciences of Darmstadt, Germany

koch@kde.org, m_koch@bigfoot.de, mkoch@mail.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de
http://www.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de/~mkoch