List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next release called 1.2?
From:       "Bjoern.Kahl" <bjoern () hp1 ! ang-physik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-08-25 8:04:39

On 24-Aug-99 Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Pietro Iglio wrote:
>>
>> I vote 1.2 for a very simple reason: it is simpler to remember than
>> 1.1.2
>> for common users. We have already too many version numbers in our
>> minds!

> That argument is very nil, don't you think? KDE is KDE and latest KDE
> is latest KDE :)

 NO !

 If we want people to try out this latest KDE, we should
 name it 1.2.

 A 1.1.2 is simply not important enough. Increasing the
 patch-number just says "Oh, one more small bugfix I don't
 have to care about, except I got hit by regular crashes or
 a break-in.".

 Because this is a public release, IMHO version-numbering
 should be done from the endusers point of view:

 a.b.X -> a.b.Y : some small internal fix, not important
                  for daily work, except I got hit by
                  malfunction in my own daily work

 a.X   -> a.Y   : a lot small bugfixes, and some features added
                  they generaly polished everything a bit, makeing
                  things better. No big changes, won't have to
                  re-learn how to do my work

 X     -> Y     : big changes. Things work completly different.
                  Will have to reconfigure most things, will
                  have to spend hours in learning the new way to
                  do things. Should go and buy a new
                  "getting started" book.
                  Won't be able to undo an update without major
                  headache.

 Bjoern

 ++  Urlaub: 4.9. bis 12.9.  +++  Urlaub: 4.9. bis 12.9.  +++