List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next release called 1.2?
From:       Troy Engel <tengel () sonic ! net>
Date:       1999-08-24 15:20:14

Andreas Krogh wrote:

> I think KDevelop, KDbg + the hi-color icons just isn't enough for the
> desktop-user(remember, we have now a _LOT_ of KDE/Linux users who are
> not programmers), and adds no new functionallity to the avarage user.
> Hense kde-1.1.2 and not 1.2.

Ahh, but that's where it starts.  Get kdevelop and kdbg into the hands
on non-programmers, and you'll find that 20-30% of those turn out to be
interested (given that kdevelop makes things so easy to get started) and
we end up having more apps for the desktop.  Especially since folks
nowadays are including their kdevelop-workspace files in the tarballs,
it's trivial to fire up kdevelop against some source and help fix bugs.

In the theory of version numbering (I'm a CM guy in Real Life(tm) - not
that I'm any goo, but I do it <g>) it's major.minor.bugfix.build for
most things.  KDE 1.1.1 was, IMO, misappropriately labeled as a bugfix
since it was much more than that.  KDE 1.2 is a more appropriate release
label for the amount of work that has gone in; there's a point at which
so many bugfixes consitutes a feature release, instead of a bugfix
release (from "Software Methodology").

1.2 would seem appropriate to me, both to the credit of the team and in
the public eye.

2 cents,
-te

--