List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next release called 1.2?
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-08-24 14:07:39

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Steve Hutton wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Andreas Pour wrote:
> >
> >     *  b/c it is not consistent with the 1.1->1.1.1 change.  Well,
> > frankly, I'm not sure how the 1.1 --> 1.1.1 decision was made, but 1.1.1
> > should have been 1.2 and this release 1.3 or something like that.  Just
> > b/c there was a mistake in versioning last time does not mean we should
> > be stuck with it forever.  You don't see a Windows 2000.1.0, do you?
> > No, b/c any marketing person will tell you that is too many decimals
> > :-).  Let's get it right this time, please?
>
> I agree with this.  KDE is not the Linux kernel; we are not pumping
> out releases every couple of days or even every couple of weeks.
> A 3-tiered versioning scheme is cumbersome and not necessary.
> It took me forever to explain to my newbie friend that he should be
> running "one-point-one-point-one" instead of "one-point-one."

I would vote for "1.2", too. I understand the concept behind the 1.1.x
numbering scheme, but the addition of kdevelop and the theme manager, as
well as the new icons, would warrant a 1.2 IMHO.

Also, personally I do not expect THAT much from an .X release (i.e. 1.X,
2.X etc), so I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

bye,
Peter