List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next release called 1.2?
From:       John Corey <whoop () mtco ! com>
Date:       1999-08-24 14:02:41

> > - the number of additional features are not even comparable
> >   to those that have been added for 1.1.1. So naming it
> >   1.2 would neither be honest nor consistent.
> Or those that have been added from 1.0 to 1.1. Naming it 1.2
> simply implies it's something completly different than 1.1.1,
> but it's 1.1.1 + bonus. So name it 1.1.1++, but this 1.1.2

To me it doesn't mean "completely different," but instead just one minor
step up from 1.1.1.  I've taken versions to mean, major.minor.bugfix.
Of course this isn't a major release, but it is more than just a bugfix
release.  Bumping the minor would mean of course bug fixes and a more
stable environment, but some decent new additions, hicolor/large icons,
kdevelop, kdbg, I understand kmail has undergone a lot of work, etc.

> > - we don't want to compete with GNOME in terms of
> >   version numbers -- that would be ridiculous and wouldn't
> >   be in the tradition of the kde-project.
> That's one of my main concerns!

That's only a concern to the conspiracy nuts, and Slashdot Anonymous
Cowards.  We have our own product, this version numbering isn't about
staying at the same number as them.  Hell, they'll probably have a
couple more updates or be at 2.0 before us.