List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next release called 1.2?
From:       Steve Hutton <shutton () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       1999-08-24 12:48:13

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Torsten Rahn wrote:
>
> > cons:
> > ====
> > - the number of additional features are not even comparable
> >   to those that have been added for 1.1.1. So naming it
> >   1.2 would neither be honest nor consistent.
> Or those that have been added from 1.0 to 1.1. Naming it 1.2
> simply implies it's something completly different than 1.1.1,
> but it's 1.1.1 + bonus. So name it 1.1.1++, but this 1.1.2

This is the best and only argument in my mind for not naming
it 1.2.

> > - we don't want to compete with GNOME in terms of
> >   version numbers -- that would be ridiculous and wouldn't
> >   be in the tradition of the kde-project.
> That's one of my main concerns!

I had no idea GNOME was planning a 1.2 release.  Why should
we care what they call theirs?  /. kiddies will whine no matter
what we do...

> I see one pro (PR + mindshare) and about two or three cons,
> so I don't see the point :)
>
> Of course the pr-team likes KDE 2.0 to be released tomorrow

Yeah, that would be great, heh.

> and that KDE finishes all wars, etc.

What wars? ;-)

> But somehow we're just
> doing our business and contintue what we started (1.1.2).

I suppose I see your point.  You are saying version numbers
should be decided soley on the basis of technical issues and
consistancy.

Steve