List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Next release called 1.2?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-08-24 12:51:07

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Torsten Rahn wrote:
> >
> > Though I don't have any strong opinion about this topic
> > anymore I'll add my 4 KB;-) of pros and cons here that I
> >  collected. I don't know the reasons that made the kde-pr-team
> > raise up this question again. So if I forgot anything feel
> > free to add cons and pros ...

[ ... ]

> >>   1.2 would neither be honest nor consistent.
> Or those that have been added from 1.0 to 1.1. Naming it 1.2
> simply implies it's something completly different than 1.1.1,
> but it's 1.1.1 + bonus. So name it 1.1.1++, but this 1.1.2
>
> > - we don't want to compete with GNOME in terms of
> >   version numbers -- that would be ridiculous and wouldn't
> >   be in the tradition of the kde-project.
> That's one of my main concerns!
>
> I see one pro (PR + mindshare) and about two or three cons,
> so I don't see the point :)

Well, the PR and mindshare ones are more important than the others, no?
I mean, it seems to me that getting publicity and users to use KDE is
more important than sticking to some undefined "principle" about
versioning.  I'm not sure there are any cons --

    * to avoid playing Gnome's game -- well, it's not Gnome's game,
Gnome is just doing something that has been done for centuries,
marketing.  So, what I gather you are saying, is KDE does not want to
play the marketing game.  Well, if that is so, don't complain when
Gnome, who plays the game, gets more press and gets more mindshare.
I think this is a pretty weak reason not to use 1.2; I think Gnome is
being smart in its numbering and we should be smart too.
    *  b/c it is not consistent with the 1.1->1.1.1 change.  Well,
frankly, I'm not sure how the 1.1 --> 1.1.1 decision was made, but 1.1.1
should have been 1.2 and this release 1.3 or something like that.  Just
b/c there was a mistake in versioning last time does not mean we should
be stuck with it forever.  You don't see a Windows 2000.1.0, do you?
No, b/c any marketing person will tell you that is too many decimals
:-).  Let's get it right this time, please?

> Of course the pr-team likes KDE 2.0 to be released tomorrow
> and that KDE finishes all wars, etc. But somehow we're just
> doing our business and contintue what we started (1.1.2).

Foul ;-) !  The PR team is trying to market KDE; that is what it was
formed to do.  We are not making impossible demands like saying have 2.0
ready tomorrow; we are only saying we will have better PR if we
release1.2 rather than 1.1.2.  Nobody expects major changes from 1.1 to
1.2; the major change is expected at 2.0.  The fact is, KDE does not do
many releases, about 2-3 a year despite a whole lot of effort, so going
up a .1 at a time is really not so outrageous.

Regards,

Andreas